Today in The Oklahoman, University of Oklahoma president David Boren stresses the teacher-pay-raise aspect of SQ 779 while I focus on the higher-education aspect.
October 23, 2016
October 17, 2016
October 07, 2016
September 23, 2016
As I did with all the kids when they were little, I love to lie down next to Oliver when he’s sleeping. The room is dark but there’s the faintest light from the porch or from the moon illuminating his face. So I lie next to him, my face just inches from his, and I just stare and ponder and give thanks. If I move my head ever so slightly, it causes the light to shift just enough that suddenly I see someone else, one of his siblings. If I hold perfectly still I am back in time and I am staring at little Lillie. Just hold still—don’t move—and remember the times with Lillie. It’s really quite wonderful. Other-worldly.
September 12, 2016
In a September 1 presentation at the Oklahoma Council of Public Affairs, Gene Edward Veith, the author of numerous books including Modern Fascism and Postmodern Times, made that point that "progressive education is self-destructing." With the spread of trigger warnings and the like, he said, "it's like a parody of itself. ... It would be funny if we saw it in a movie. It's reality. But when it gets to that point, it's coming apart."
September 09, 2016
It seems that some delicate souls at the University of Oklahoma, upset about gender pronouns and whatnot, have created their own hashtag: #yOUrbad. Surprisingly, there are several tweets these students haven't yet thought of, so as a proud alumnus I'm happy to do my part.
- The OU student union has a Chick-fil-A #yOUrbad
- Per @Newsweek, "Not all people who menstruate are women." Thus, Brown U. students putting tampons in men's restrooms. Why not OU? #yOUrbad
- Harvard nixed the offensive title "house master" because of slavery connotation. Yet OU has them: http://bit.ly/2cL70iX #yOUrbad
- OU employee claims "she has been discriminated against at work because she is black, a woman, and disabled" http://bit.ly/2ccRRDr #yOUrbad
- Mental health services underfunded even as the microaggressed at #yOUrbad suffer DSM-5 Paranoid Personality Disorder http://bit.ly/2czTjAg
- OU minority and female faculty outnumbered and receive less pay on average than their white male coworkers http://bit.ly/2cLrj1b #yOUrbad
- OU agreed to pay $40K to a homophobic misogynist who is on record saying "you went to jail as a b*tch, came home as a dyke" http://bit.ly/1NPOlwQ #yOUrbad
- OU employee earning $220,000 a year bewails "income inequality" in America #yOUrbad
- By allowing men to use the ladies' restroom, OU ignores the concerns of sexual-abuse survivors http://bit.ly/1WL2yBv #yOUrbad
- OU employee says OU regent guilty of gender bias and using his influence to interfere with her employment http://bit.ly/2czQ8bA #yOUrbad
- Staff name tags at Vanderbilt include preferred gender pronouns http://heat.st/2c1F3lr Why not OU? #yOUrbad
- Gender identity is fluid. Why use the word "freshman" at OU, instead of the more tolerant and inclusive "first-year student"? #yOUrbad
- Income inequality is so bad that not all BLM "die-in" protesters could afford smartphones to take selfies http://bit.ly/2dlsDrl #yOUrbad
- Univ. of Michigan students now may designate personal pronouns on class rosters http://bit.ly/2dfkIsa Why not OU? #yOUrbad
- Princeton HR department is committed to gender-inclusive language: https://www.princeton.edu/hr/progserv/communications/inclusivelanguage.pdf Why not OU? #yOUrbad
- Campus leaders at JMU handed out a list of 35 things no student should ever say: http://bit.ly/2e3cUN7 Why not OU? #yOUrbad
- Some universities are banning politically incorrect Halloween costumes: http://bit.ly/2dwnMDf Why not OU? #yOUrbad
September 02, 2016
Among the rigorous courses available in Tahlequah: "Introduction to Women’s and Gender Studies," "Feminist and Social Activism," "Feminist Philosophy and Criticism," and "Feminist Theory."