Let's Talk About It


Almost daily, Jack Henry comes to me and says, "Let's talk about it." Sometimes I am sitting on the couch with coffee and a book, sometimes I am fixing dinner, sometimes he comes in very early in the morning and snuggles up to me in bed, or sometimes we are playing Little People and he'll look at me and say, "Let's talk about it."

So, you ask, what does he want to talk about? The important things in life, of course. What goes faster, a police car or a fire truck? Why does Lincoln get to go to the refrigerator and get whatever he wants to drink? What should he be before he becomes a daddy – a motorcycle guy or a fireman? Can God really always see him? Or maybe he'll explain to me in great detail how, even though I've won a few times, he is really the champion of Hi Ho Cherry O.

Linda Hirshman tells me I'm wasting my degree and that "the tasks of housekeeping and child rearing are not worthy of the full time and talents of intelligent and educated human beings." Yep, I could be teaching a kindergarten class how to read or helping high school students figure out how to identify misplaced modifiers. I might even enjoy it. But I would much rather be on the couch, Jack Henry sitting on my lap, intently looking me in the eyes trying to figure out how Sam got his eggs and ham to be green.

Popular Posts