You Know You're From Oklahoma If . . .

I was born in Norman but spent some of my younger years overseas. When I was in sixth grade my family landed back in Bartlesville. Of course, when I was in high school and college I not only wanted to move far away from Bartlesville, I wanted to move far, far away from Oklahoma. I had my sights on many places. I didn't want to be known as an Okie.

Well, you can guess what happened. Except for when Brandy and I lived in Virginia Beach for about a year, the only place I've lived since junior high is Oklahoma. And I like it. I'm not embarrased to say I'm from Oklahoma. And I don't want to move anywhere else. (OK, maybe I could move to Colorado, but that's it.)

So for all of you who were born in Oklahoma, or who weren't born here but have lived here a long time, here's a little something I saw that you might enjoy.

You Know You're From Oklahoma If . . .

A tornado siren is your signal to go out in the yard and look for a funnel.

You have used the phrase "fixin' to" during the last 12 months.

Someone you know has used a football schedule to plan their wedding date.

You can properly pronounce Eufaula, Gotebo, Okemah, and Chickasha.

It doesn't bother you to use an airport named for a man who died in an airplane crash.

A bad traffic jam is 10 cars waiting to pass a tractor on the highway.

You know which state Miam-uh is in and in which state Miam-ee is in.

You aren't surprised to find movie rentals, ammunition, and bait all in the same store.

You have ever had to switch from heat to A/C on the same day.

You see people wear bib overalls at funerals.

And finally, you know you are 100 percent Oklahoman if you have ever heard or been a part of this conversation:

"Ya wanna coke?"

"Yeah."

"What kind?"

"Dr. Pepper."

Popular Posts