Ideas Have Consequences

In his State of the State address today, Gov. Brad Henry declared that elected officials owe their constituents "a government of complete openness and transparency. Every Oklahoman deserves to know how their tax dollars are spent. This year, I ask for your help in establishing an easily accessible Web site in which citizens can see exactly how their money is spent. We demand accountability of state agencies and departments, and it's only fair that voters demand accountability from us."

Now I realize that success has many fathers and all that, but I don't mind saying the governor's remarks called to mind a column published October 18, 2006 in The Oklahoman ('State spending Web site needed') in which Sen. Tom Coburn and I made the case for just such a Web site. And with this idea polling at 72-19, I am optimistic that it will become law this year.

Popular Posts