Trying to Keep Up

So, I've mentioned on this blog several times that Oliver is busy and always on the go, which in turn keeps us busy chasing after him. And in a previous post I also mentioned a sign I once saw that said, "I'm so far behind, I thought I was first." Well, here I go again -- same song, different verse. Oliver is busy, he keeps us hopping, and I'm so far behind I thought I was first. Now I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining, because I'm not. I'm just stating a simple fact. From the time Oliver wakes up until he goes to sleep, he is on the go. My sister-in-law tells me that all three of her kids were like that. I can't even imagine. I'm halfway hesitant to believe her because every time I go to her house it's neat and tidy, she always seems to have tons of energy, and she also always looks cute and put together, but I guess I'll take her word for it.

So, I feel like for the past year-and-a-half I've gotten a little behind. I have stacks of paperwork I need to get through, closets are cluttered, and things around the house are just generally a mess. Now I realize that being organized isn't the most important thing, but it would be nice when one of my kids says something like, "Where's the tape?" if I could find it rather than looking through four different drawers before finding it in the dirty clothes basket. Or if I could open up the attic steps without everything crashing down. I've seen lots of things on Pinterest about how to get your house organized in 30 days, and steps to get your spring cleaning done in just 30 minutes a day for three weeks. (Now I know what you're thinking. "Maybe if she'd get off Pinterest she'd have more time to get organized." But in my defense, the only time I get on Pinterest is when I'm rocking Oliver late at night and I glance at it on my phone).

I'm not sure how this organizing is all going to work out, but maybe by summer I'll feel a little more organized (which for me is like a vacation to the beach). I've started making my own plan and am geared up to start the "Great Cleanout of 2013." Maybe I'll post some before-and-after pictures along the way. Of course I'll still keep my priorities straight and not let my OCD tendencies take over. Yesterday I had planned to get up early and start in on my closet, but it was cold and sleeting outside so instead of organizing I snuggled under the covers with Oliver for an extra hour.

And now for your Friday enjoyment, here are a few pics that explain why I'm a little behind. These are pics I've taken over the past few months.

"It's okay if I unravel this roll of paper towels, right?"

"Go ahead and keep fixing dinner, mom. I'll just clean out the fridge for you."

"You make the bed while I empty out my diaper basket ...

... and then while you pick up my diapers, I'll empty out the bookshelf ...

... and while you pick up the books, I'll play in the kitchen drawers."

"Wow! That was fun! Even better than the roll of paper towels." (I remember this day clearly. The extra two minutes it afforded me to put on my makeup was totally worth the roll of toilet paper.)

"Where is that credit card? I need some new toys."


"Mom, you really need to do a better job of keeping your wallet away from me."
"Don't worry about fixing oatmeal and blueberries this morning. I'll just get myself some Lucky Charms."

"Poker, anyone?"

This picture doesn't really show Oliver making a big mess -- it just shows the kinds of things he does throughout the day. He sprinkled some Lucky Charms on the floor so that he and Charlie could eat them together. (And yes, after I grabbed my camera and took a picture I did stop him from eating off the floor.)

Popular Posts