Blood Brothers

Fatherhood brings many joys, of course, but this one I didn't see coming.

I guess in theory I knew it would be a joy to see sibling-to-sibling friendships develop. But the love and friendship between Lincoln (age 15) and Jack Henry (age 5) has developed in a way and to a degree that I never could have imagined.

I just asked Jack Henry, "Who's your best friend?" He replied, as I knew he would, "Lincoln." Now I don't get out much, so I don't know how common it is for a 5-year-old to name a 15-year-old as his best friend. I'm guessing it's not the norm. But in this case I don't see how it could be otherwise. I mean, these brothers are together a ton -- playing football, shooting hoops, going fishing, reading stories, and on and on. (As usual, Susie has already written eloquently about this, and her new video below is priceless.)

When deciding how to educate children, one has to determine if the home is going to be the center of life, or if an external institution is going to be the center of life. When siblings aren't institutionalized, they become bonded to each other (rather than to peers at a daycare center or a school) in ways that otherwise couldn't happen.

Popular Posts