Asking the Right Questions

I try to listen every week to the White Horse Inn, a radio program/podcast wherein a Lutheran, a Baptist, and two Reformed guys attempt to the put the Christ back into Christianity. Their conversations are always interesting, but I found this week's show ("The Cross and Resurrection," April 4) to be particularly good.

While many folks in the evangelical world seem to think Christianity is some sort of self-help program (How can I relieve stress? How can I get my family budget in order? How can I have my best life now?), Mike Horton suggests that we should be asking some deeper questions. Like, umm, How can I escape the wrath of God?
The Bible, all along -- its whole plot line from Genesis to Revelation -- tells us, "Hey, come over here for a minute. Sit down." It's a doctor giving us the diagnosis: "You have cancer." Once you hear "you have cancer," your whole outlook on what you need changes. And once God tells us, "Look, this is the problem: I am your enemy. I can't be anything but your enemy, apart from you being in the right with respect to my justice and my law, my righteousness. Now, shut up, I don't want to hear a word from you, I'm going to tell you what I did about that." 
And what He did about it is very good news indeed. In fact, it's called the good news. It's even better than having your best life now.

Popular Posts