Jack Henry and I, Kickin' It Old School

When our family was home over the Memorial Day weekend, Jack Henry and I jumped on a four-wheeler Saturday morning and made our way to a distant pasture where I showed him the remains of an old schoolhouse. As you can see, all that's left is some of the foundation and a cellar. I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit I don't know much about the school. A friend of mine at the Bartlesville Area History Museum thinks it might be the old Hillsdale School [est. 1907?] and is going to check into it further.

In any case, Jack Henry and I had a great time practicing some amateur archaeology. We found pieces of old bricks with an imprint ending in "VILLE" (we're pretty sure that's for Coffeyville rather than Bartlesville). It was fun to be transported back in time, pretending that I was walking him to school more than a hundred years ago, trying to imagine what our conversation would have been.

If any of you Washington County historians out there know anything about the school (it's on the old Tyler spread, five miles east of Bartlesville), please enlighten us in the comments section below.

Click photos to enlarge

Popular Posts