Family Trumps Politics

I spend my days reading and writing about public policy, but there are some things that are more important than tax cuts or school choice or Medicaid reform.

When my son Lincoln was four, Susie would periodically find my neckties hidden in his closet or under his bathroom sink. When asked why he was hiding them, he explained: “Every time Daddy takes off his work clothes I’m going to hide his tie. Then all his ties will be hidden, he won’t have any more, and he won’t be able to go to work anymore.”

Pretty clever, God love him, but I continued to go to work nonetheless. And even though that work consists of public policy research and writing, I’m convinced that what happens at 23rd and Lincoln, or what happens to the Party of Lincoln, isn’t as important as what happens to my son Lincoln. My primary concern is not with the body politic, but rather with my family – that miniature body politic over which I preside. (And preside imperfectly, I am quick to acknowledge. Christ, have mercy.)

“The education of children for God is the most important business done on earth,” wrote R. L. Dabney, a prominent 19th century theologian and staff officer for Stonewall Jackson. “To it all politics, all war, all literature, all money-making, ought to be subordinated; and every parent ought to feel, every hour of the day, that, next to making his own calling and election sure, this is the end for which he is kept alive by God – this is his task on earth.”

Government is important, but not as important as making sure my children love the One on whose shoulders government rests. Reducing Oklahoma’s 6.25 percent income tax rate is important, but not as important as Lincoln doing his algebra.

I read lots of newspapers and magazines and blogs, but when I visit my son’s cleverly titled blog at lunchtime and am reminded how much he loves his little brother, and reads Curious George books to him, it brings me great joy. I’d have to say I love Lincoln more than tort reform.

Popular Posts